The Odisha Adarsha Vidyalaya Sangathan (OAVS) is an initiative of Shri Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister of Odisha, who is passionate about School Education. OAVS provides free quality education in English to the students, especially from semi-urban and rural areas, from across the state. The Adarsha Vidyalaya aims to promote the rural talents by inculcating the 21st century learning skills through a holistic and integral approach for their physical and aesthetic development, apart from academic fineness. This co-ed School is established at the Block Headquarter in all the 314 Blocks of Odisha, at Secondary and Senior Secondary level from Classes VI to XII. The Adarsha Vidyalayas will play a key role in spreading modern education in remote parts in the State, while integrating the students of small towns and villages with mainstream education.
- It started as a ‘Model School’, launched by Government of India, under Central Assistance Scheme in the year 2010-2011. However, it was delinked from Central Assistance from the financial year 2015-16.
- The Project was taken forward by Government of Odisha, with additional features and established on September 19, 2015, as a society, under The Society Registration Act of Odisha.
The General Body is the apex body of the Sangathan headed by Hon’ble Minister, School & Mass Education as President.
- The Executive Body is headed by Advisor cum Working President or Chairman.
- The Management Body is headed by DC and ACS as Chairman.
- The Executive Body (Academics) is headed by Commissioner cum Secretary, School and Mass Education Department.
- Vidyalaya Management and Development Committee (VMDC) constituted in all OAVs to look after the affair.
- The Sangathan aims to establish one Adarsha Vidyalaya in each of the 314 Blocks of the State.
- The first Odisha Adarsha Vidyalaya was established at Sanmouda in 2016 by the Odisha Department of School and Mass Education.
- Gradually higher classes will be opened and each year new students will be admitted in Class VI only.
- It will act as a lead school and be a focal point in that area for bringing academic excellence in adjoining educational institutions.
- All the schools are administered through Odisha Adarsha Vidyalaya Sangathan.
- The Vidyalaya will have Classes from VI to XII, having two sections in each class with intake capacity of 40 students in each class.
- Admission is done through Entrance Test and students can join in Class VI.
- The test is largely non-verbal and objective in nature and is designed to prevent any disadvantage to children from rural areas.
- Teacher: Pupil ration is 1:25.
- 50% reservation for Girl’s in each category.
- The reservation for seats will be at par with the percentage of SC/ST population in the respective blocks.
- Bridge Course materials are developed to help in east transition from Odia medium to English medium.
- English is the main mode of instruction and Odia will be the second language.
- Uniformity in logo, school uniform, badge to instil respect, pride and sense of community among the students.